Friday, August 24, 2012

Cutting Tools

You'll need to have some sort of tools to cut and tear apart whatever you are using. These are the tools I recommend having around while you are making your cosplay.

X-Acto Knife
  • I don't know what I would've done without my X-acto knife. It cuts through everything. Everything. I have used it to cut through my paper mache, my poster board, dried Model Magic, and whatever else I needed to cut through. It is very precise and will slide through a lot of paper-like materials.
  • The only problem with it is that it's hard to make small curves with the X-acto knife, but if you make small incisions as you go, it still looks really clean.
  • You can buy these at Walmart or craft stores. It's not that hard to find them, which is always a plus.

Non-fabric Scissors
  • Just buy a pair of scissors from Walmart if you don't have one at home.
  • You will use this scissors to cut anything that IS NOT fabric that can be cut by a pair of scissors.

Fabric Scissors
  • These scissors will have a flat bottom and help you cut straighter lines. They'll look at little like this:
  • You will use these scissors to cut fabric and nothing else. Understand? Nothing else.
    • The point for this is that cutting anything other than fabric with these scissors will dull them out. Cutting fabric with dull scissors is very frustrating. Save yourself the stress.

Seam Ripper
  • When you make a mistake when you sew, using a seam ripper will be a lot more useful than using a pair of scissors. They are really cheap and a ton of help while you're sewing.

I currently own all of the above, but I also plan to buy these cutting tools in order to help with prop making and other miscellaneous projects.

Box Cutter/Utility Craft Knife
  • It looks like if you want to carve larger props, you'll need one of these. Carving with an X-Acto knife on a big and thick piece of foam will take forever. They called it a utility craft knife. I think it looks like a box cutter.

No comments:

Post a Comment