I have used Model Magic on the earrings, the mask, and dagger for my San cosplay and I must say that it can be some really useful stuff. I chose to start with Model Magic because I needed something super lightweight for San's earrings and I just ended up having a lot of it over.
Where to Buy Model Magic
- Craft stores (Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, etc.)
Pros of Model Magic
- No need to bake in oven
- Comes in large tubs if you need a lot
- Sticks to itself and not to you
- To connect two pieces of Model Magic, you can simply press and hold them together for awhile as long as it is not dry
- Can paint after prepping with gesso or model magic
Cons of Model Magic
- Stays soft and pliable for a LONG time (so you will want to be careful about putting any sort of pressure on it because it will fold to any pressure)
- Cannot be sanded
- Can crack while drying
- Not meant for serious detailing
I've read that most people use Model Magic for smaller items and accessories that don't need a lot of detail as well. Princess Mononoke's San isn't particularly difficult which could explain why I didn't have trouble using Model Magic.